Dear LM_NETTERS,

I would like to know how people are approaching use of net news services by
students.  We have access to the full range of net news options made
available by the University of Illinois to its user community.  However,
we're afraid that this free access is a time bomb waiting to go off - there
are many less than savory choices out there (alt.sex... etc.).  Our
students and their parents have signed a computer system usage agreement
form that should protect us...  Or perhaps it won't.  The alternative is
for us to obtain our own net news access service, which would offer very
limited (but safe) choices, but which would use up at least half of our
computer power and resources.  Hardly seems justifiable.

I will summarize and post responses to the list.  Thanks in advance!

Frances Jacobson

Frances F. Jacobson                     Bitnet: jacobson@uiucvmd
University High School Librarian        Internet:  jacobson@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu

University High School Library      University Library
1212 W. Springfield Avenue          University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL  61801
217-333-1589

LM_NET Archive Home