Ray,

Although I have, at times, had students tell me that they don't need a
book (when they come with the class) because they are reading one from the
classroom collection, I have never felt offended.  My feeling is that we need
to surround students with books wherever they are.  If they become so
accustomed to having books at their fingertips that using them is a
natural thing to do, then perhaps that will manifest itself in their homes
in the future and they will expect to surround themselves with books
there, too.  (That only happened in the past at the middle school library;
I don't have that issue arise at the high school level.)

Most of our teachers at the middle school level had the paperback variety
which really can't compete with the nice information type books in the
library.

Betty
Betty Hamilton      <bhamilt@tenet.edu>     Voice: (806) 637-4523
Director of Library Media                           701 Cub Drive
Brownfield High School                        Brownfield TX 79316

LM_NET Archive Home