Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about
who does the cataloging for school library media centers.
There were 23 people who responded, and I will summarize
the results in a moment. I just want to point out that the
totals will not add up to 100%, because many schools use
several different methods.

39% of the libraries purchase cataloging from their vendors.
Of these, half of the librarians are required to do themselves
what the vendor cannot supply.
54% of the librarians are required to catalog in addition
to everything else (including those mentioned above)
Another 26% have a central processing department which does
the cataloging, 2 libraries used to have central processing,
and 1 library has a part-time cataloger.

Some tools that were mentioned:
Bibliofile
Follet's Alliance Plus
Follet's Quick Card
Librarian's Helper
Precision One

If you would like more information, please feel free to reply
to me directly. Or if you know anyone who is looking for a
cataloger... :>

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Thanks especially for
your wishes for good luck and advice in my job search!

Yapha Nussbaum
izzypg7@mvs.oac.ucla.edu

LM_NET Archive Home