Dear Linda,

I'd sure be interested to see such a study.  To me, though, the question
is a dangerous one.  The Board needs to fund technology because it
provides essential tools that students need to be successful in their
work.  Suppose the Board buys some jim-dandy computers, but student
performance doesn't improve.  Is it the computers' fault?  The emphasis
is on tool.  The technology itself cannot
improve student performance, in my opinion.  It is what we do with that
technology that may permit students to be equipped to deal with the
present and the future.

The important thing is for students to use their minds well, however we
define that.  Students don't need computers to use their minds well, they
need ideas.  And they have to know what to do with ideas.

Computers and computing are definitely an important part of our lives and
future.  I think that's sufficient reason for the school board to invest
in them.

Mark Gordon
Oceana High School
Coalition of Essential Schools