Dear LM_Netters,
Thanks to all of you who have shown an interest in this project. However, I
have found more staff level information than anything. So we may be breaking
new ground:-)
I have put together a couple of the library oriented rubrics in draft form.
If anyone would be willing to lend their insight and expertise, I will send
you copies of what we have already. I have attached one to this notice that
deals with using software resources for research. PLEASE make comments and
return to me. An additional note, is at this time I have only included what
will be considered "excellence." Lower levels of the rubrics will be added
later (maybe, we are debating whether to show the students the whole rubric,
or only expectations for excellence).
Again all help is greatly appreciated,
Steve Baule
Baules@aol.com
RUBRIC FOL
LOWS!

Electronic Reference Tools

 Students will be able to select the appropr
iate CD-ROM or software resources for their research needs and gather useful
information.

Mechanics of searching the database:
(Level of Excellence)
- Student can initialize the CD-ROM or software pro
gram without assistance
- Student can reset the search software correctly if the last user d
id not logoff
- Student understands and knows when to enter search terms as single items
and when to
 use phrases
- Student can search by key word, phrase, subject, title, or author as
appropriate
-
 Student knows how to truncate search terms
- Student knows how to setup a search with two simi
liar terms for the most exhaustive results
- Student understands how and when to use Boolean oper
ators
- Student knows how to limit search fields
- Student can move easily through the various m
enu levels
- Student can print selectively from results of searches
- Student can transfer ne
cessary information to his or her own disk or folder

Evaluation of materials displayed by search:
(Level of Excellence)
- Student can recognize by number of results when search term(s) needs to be
broadened or narrowed
- Student can judge the merit of specific software and CD-ROM titles for
particula r purposes
- Student will search under subject headings found in results list that did
not include search for key words in order to perform a more exhaustive search
- Student uses particular types of multimedia information when appropriate,
but does not overuse graphic and audio resources simply bec
ause of preference

LM_NET Archive Home