This is my first year working with 1st and 2nd grade and we do limit
thier selection.  Our school begins in preschool and we do not let them
choose from the shelf.  We put out a selection of books for them to
choose from.  The whole shelf just seemed to much for them to be able to
make a choice and when we first started and tried it they were pulling
books off the shelf all over.  We do not start with them on the shelf
until 2nd grade.  We started out the year letting them have access to the
whole library.  After a quarter their teacher requested that we limit
them to the easy section so that they have books that they could really
read.The popular thing to do was find books that the 7th and 8th graders
liked, but then they never took them out of their desk.  They have really
been finding books that they are reading and enjoying now.  We do make
exceptions when they have a special interest or make requests, but
encourage them to find books that they will read.  After reading all of
the responses to this I guess its time to reconsider the 1st graders
picking out their own books.  Thanks for everybody's comments on this.  I
love lm_net.
Andria D'Errico
Chicago Junior School
Elgin, IL