> My overdue slips and bills are often
> ignored.  Does anyone have a successful strategy, specific hints,
> or good ideas?
>
> Joanne McGee                           413-498-5842

Greetings,

Some of the extra funds or bonus books that we received for putting on a book
sale always went back to our students, but not without a catch!!
Every month we would draw names, one from each class. If that student
had an overdue book, we would draw again. Following the announcement of
their names, the winners would trot down to the library where they would
find paperbacks spread over several tables. Each happy kid went out with a
new book.

This practise served other purposes. There was high PR value when
students arrived home with a book. More books in more hands seemed to us
to be a good thing as well.

I've been told that this would only succeed at the elementary level to
which I respond that you just have to offer the right prizes.( audio CDs,
tickets to the next big school event, posters, tantalizing desserts,???)

A bigger problem seems to be getting books back from staff.

Cheers,
Marg S

Margaret Stimson                   Outside my window:
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada         -1 Celcius, light cloud,
mstimson@minet.gov.mb.ca           nothing at the bird feeder

LM_NET Archive Home