At our high school library, students are supposed to bring their student
cards with them in order to check books out--the cards are barcoded with
their library patron number.  Many students show up at the desk, though, with
books to check out but without their cards. We can type their names in and
check books out that way, but we want to be sure that students are not
checking books out for their friends.  We are wondering how strict other
libraries are about only checking books out to students who have remembered
to bring their barcoded cards with them.
Along the same lines, do any of you require students to flash their cards
upon entering the library, so that they can't even enter if they don't have
their student/library cards with them?  If you do this, has it worked for
you?
If people respond to me individually, I'll post a HIT if it seems helpful.
--Marcia Kemble, Mid-Pacific Institute, Honolulu, HI
using my sister's email address: onopa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

LM_NET Archive Home