Dear LM_NETTERS,

I must put in a plug for poor Funk and Wagnalls, in both print form and
synthesized Encarta form.  Don't let the supermarket image fool you!  F & W
is a perfectly servicable, brief-article format encyclopedia.  Just check
reviews in places like Booklist.  And now, Oxford University Press is
handling marketing to libraries.  What concerns me is the trouble I have
convincing my students that Encarta IS AN ENCYCLOPEDIA, not a magical
universal source of all the world's valuable information.  It's all part of
teaching students to evaluate information, yes?

I certainly agree that we shouldn't get electronic versions of things we
wouldn't get in print, unless the multimedia aspects provide unique and
important attributes.

Frances Jacobson

Frances F. Jacobson                     Bitnet: jacobson@uiucvmd
University High School Librarian        Internet:  jacobson@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu

University High School Library      University Library
1212 W. Springfield Avenue          University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL  61801
217-333-1589
FAX: 217-333-4064

LM_NET Archive Home