Hi Stephen,

>I've long lamented the demise of the thesaurus.  Two years
>ago I tried to find a good old Roget's Thesaurus only to find out
>they merely print a synonym dictionary now.  Everyone is producing
>synonym dictionaries now and calling them (mistakenly!)
>"Thesaurus in dictionary format".  Yuck!  They aren't nearly as
>useful as a REAL thesaurus.

>Anyone else out there sharing this lament?  Better yet, does anyone
>know where to get a real thesaurus anymore?

You can still order Roget's International Thesaurus 5th edition from World
Almanac Education (1-800-321-1147) for $17.52.  There is also a Roget's II
in dictionary format. I haven't looked for a while, but never had much
trouble finding either in a Barnes and Noble or a B. Dalton.

While you may prefer the arrangement of the original Roget's, please
remember that it is a tool created for those writers who already have a
well-developed vocabulary. The listings are "related" words, not synonyms,
as many students expect.  For younger or less experienced writers, a
dictionary of synonyms is the more effective resource.

Good libraries will have both, with good librarians who can explain the
difference.

As always,

Doug

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | The customer support department of
Mankato Public Schools, ISD77           | Dell Computer answers about 8000
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56001-8713         | telephone calls every day. About 10
507-387-7698                            | of those callers state "there is
palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu           | something wrong with my keyboard,
                                          it doesn't have an ANY key."
                                            Urban A. LeJeune
                                            Artifical Stupidity newsletter