Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 19:19:31 -0700

Sender: kstubbs@inet.ed.gov (Keith Stubbs)
Subject: GOALS 2000 Legislation

                      GOALS 2000 ON THE INTERNET

        The most comprehensive federal education legislation in
   decades has hit the superhighway.

        The GOALS 2000: Educate America Act -- which President
   Clinton signed into law on March 31, 1994 -- is now available via
   Internet in the Education Department (ED) "online library."

        "This is part of our effort to improve customer service,"
   said U.S. Secretary of Education Richard W. Riley.  "We are going
   to be stocking the shelves of our online library, in the months
   ahead, with information that can help parents and teachers,
   citizens and students transform their schools and reach the
   National Education Goals."

        The library offers the full text of GOALS 2000, and also
   fact sheets and other information on the Act, which is designed
   to help America reach the National Education Goals and to move
   every child toward achieving high academic standards.

        Other materials available in the department's online library
   include the National Education Goals Panel 1993 annual report,
   ED's "helping your child" series for parents, A Teachers Guide to
   the U.S. Department of Education, various research reports and
   education statistics compilations, as well as "pointers" to other
   education resources on the Internet.

        The department's online library is currently maintained by
   the Office of Educational Research and Improvement on its
   Institutional Communications Network (INet).

        The library also includes:

        o    announcements of new publications and data sets;
        o    news releases;
        o    funding opportunities;
        o    event calendars;
        o    general information about the department;
        o    searchable ED staff directory;
        o    descriptions of ED programs;
        o    directories of effective programs;
        o    directory of education-related information centers;
        o    research findings and syntheses;
        o    full-text publications for teachers, parents, and
             researchers;
        o    statistical tables, charts, and data sets;
        o    pointers to public Internet resources at R&D
             centers, regional laboratories, ERIC Clearinghouses,
             and other ED-funded institutions.

         Accessing the library requires certain software -- either a
   Gopher client software or World Wide Web client software (such as
   NCSA Mosaic or Lynx) -- or you must be able to "telnet" to a
   public access client elsewhere.

        If you are using a Gopher client, point it to:

                            gopher.ed.gov

   or select "North America-->USA-->General-->U.S. Department of
   Education" from "All/Other Gophers in the World."  Follow the path
   Department-wide Initiatives (Goals 2000...)-->Goals 2000 Initiative.

        If you are using World Wide Web (WWW), point your WWW client
   to our uniform resource locator (URL):

                          http://www.ed.gov/

   and follow the link from our WWW server to our Gopher server.

        Another way to access the library is by using file transfer
   protocol (FTP).  To do this, FTP to:

                     ftp.ed.gov       (logon anonymous)

        If you have difficulty accessing our services, please contact
   us at one of the following addresses:

           inetmgr@inet.ed.gov
           gopheradm@inet.ed.gov
           wwwadmin@inet.ed.gov

Keith M. Stubbs                                      (voice) 202-219-1803
Director, Education Info. Resources Div.               (fax) 202-219-1817
US Dept of Education/OERI                  Internet:  kstubbs@inet.ed.gov
555 New Jersey Avenue, NW  Rm 214c
Washington, DC  20208-5725

LM_NET Archive Home