I did some research on this a few years ago when one of our elementary
school classrooms used the peace symbol in a bulletin board (the design
of some 4th grade students), and there were some complaints.   I'm sure
you can re-trace my steps, I think I used an encyclopedia.   The peace
symbol is a result of the combination of the semaphore (flag signals)
for letters (I forget which ones), that are related to peace.   It somewhat rese
 mbles (with a great
deal of imagination) the upside-down cross which is a satanic symbol,
but it has no connection, but people who spend their lives
looking for satanic symbols on oatmeal boxes can find them everywhere
they look.

Gail K. Dickinson
Union-Endicott Central School District
1200 E. Main St.
Endicott, NY 13760
                       "a wild patience has taken me this far"
                             (Integrity) -- Adrienne Rich

>DATE:   Wed, 4 May 1994 16:22:32 -0700
>FROM:   Sophia Smith <sosmit@EIS.CALSTATE.EDU>
>
>sure hope you can help me out with this one. One of my students told
>another teacher that the peace sign of the sixties had its origins as a
>satanic symbol. Could some share the symbolism of this inverted y with a
>circle? This has become a heated debate in two classroom. I told them if
>anyone could solve this argument the members of LM_NET would.
>                Thanks in advance, sophia Smith

LM_NET Archive Home