After 6 months absence I am back on the list..  so I apologize to anyone
if I am asking information previously or recently discussed.

electronic access to information in schools. Any suggestions about recent
completed research about schools using Internet, or research in progress, or
exciting local projects would be appreciated, especially as related to
print sources of project implementation, curriculum applications and
constructivist approaches to learning, or policy analysis of school use
of Internet. I'm also interested in what other countries are doing.
  My questions: How will we ever get the "LAST MILE" as referred to in
Education Week, Vol.XIII, Mar.21, 1994, No.23 (I think) if we can't even get
on the ramp? How do we get into the "policy action arena" at the state
level so that we assure that happens and  all students have equitable
access to the INTERNET?  What is the "current" status of federal legislation
and policy  "action" at the federal level concerning school access to the
INTERNET?
  Last,  would anyone be willing to send me the location of some good sources
- either print or on the INTERNET accessible by ftp that I might link into
that follow this issue or that summarize this important policy arena for
access for students and teachers. I will be willing to pay postage for
curriculum related project or policy summaries.
   I guess I am making the assumption that as school librarians we agree this
access is needed in schools for all teachers and students  if they want to be
part of the  American democratic discourse and we do not want to create a
class society of those who "have and do not have access to the INTERNET."
     Perhaps, I am wrong,
       but,
         if we do not own this problem, or, at least a large piece of it, and
advocate for what we know is important for America's future,  who will?

LM_NET Archive Home