The letter to the parents is also a very important part of the student
release form.  I am forwarding the copy I obtained from Sherri Gassaway
(gassaway@vancouver.wsu.edu)

This letter was compiled by Marge Coy and accompanies the student release
form previously posted to LM_NET.

Frankie Dilling
fdilling@tenet.edu

Dear Parents:

Your child has been selected to receive an Internet electronic mail
account and needs your permission to do so.  Your child will be able to
communicate with other schools, colleges, organizations, and students
around the world.  Electronic mail is the sending and receiving of
messages using a computer, modem, and phone lines.  Internet is a network
of smaller networks.  Internet allows your child the opportunity to reach
out to many other people to share information, learn concepts, and
research subjects.

With this educational opportunity also comes responsibility.  It is
important that you and your child read the enclosed access release form
and discuss it together.  When your child is given an account number and
password to use on the computer, it is extremely important that the rules
are followed.  The use of inappropriate material will result in the loss
of the privilege to use this educational tool.  Parents, remember that
you are legally responsible for your child's actions.  Please stress to
your child the importance of using only his or her own account number and
password, and the importance of keeping it a secret from other students.
your child should under NO circumstances let anyone else use their
account number and password!

In spite of our efforts to establish acceptance use policies, please be
aware that there may be unacceptable material or communications on the
Internet that your child can access.  We cannot filter items posted on
connecting computers by others.  if you do not want to risk your child's
possible exposure to inappropriate written material, do not sign this form.

After you have read and discussed this, if you sign the release form
please return it to us as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

School Staff
Sherri Gassaway                       gassaway@vancouver.wsu.edu
13509 SE 20th Cir                      (206) 253-9552
Vancouver, WA 98684