Many thanks to David Ratner, Lois Roberts, Carol Simpson, Paul Venancio,
Jan Thomas, Anne Carver, and Linda Greenwood for responding to my inquiry
re posssible computer intereferenc in libraries using both the Checkpoint
Security System and the Winnebago Online Catalog System.  They were
unanimous in reporting no inteference problems!

Jan reported that Checkpoint causes static on portable radio communicators
and cordless phones that are brought within close proximity of it.  Lois
lamented that Checkpoint is slow to respond when a "bunch" of kids go
through it, causing the culprit to escape and the innocent next person to
get caught!  David suggested reconsidering using Checkpoint because the
security targets are very obvious and students delight in tearing them out
and planting them on their "friends."

Paul uses Checkpoint with Follett with no interence problems, and Linda has
experienced no interence problems with Winnebago and 3M (a nice surprise,
given the recent discussion of problems with 3M which prompted my TARGET.)

Finally, Carol Simpson offered the simple and obvious explanation for the
"no problems" reported (why didn't I remember this? :-):
        Checkpoint uses a radio frequency (RF) system to detect
        improperly charged out materials.  It does NOT rely on electro-
        magnetic (EM) detection.  EM systems can be foiled by the
        powerful electromagnets in computer monitors and tele-
        visions.  Of course, RF systems can be foiled by -AHA!-
        foil.  Gum wrappers will mask RF detection pieces.  But
        computer equipment should have no effect on an RF system.

Thanks again to you all!

Katie Wills

--

Katie Wills     Shamrock High School, DeKalb County Schools