I have heard that from our elementary librarians also, that the students
prefer Infofinder when they "need to know".  For serendipitous browsing,
they will head for the sound and the pictures.    I haven't seen the
multimedia aspect of Infofinder 94 yet, but I sincerely hope they did
not go for the glitz over substance.   I wish that the encyclopedia
vendors would sell two versions of their product: One, for research,
would have text only, so that it could be networked easily and used
cost-efficiently (meaning that students would search for information,
print, and move off);  The other, then, could be a learning station,
with the sound and pictures, so that students could sit for an hour and
look at pictures of dogs, or listen to birdcalls.

>DATE:   Mon, 9 May 1994 20:34:30 -0500
>FROM:   Winona Middle School <0681wms@INFORMNS.K12.MN.US>
>
>We are using the 93 info. finder (will receive the 94 versiion soon) on a
>Novell network; we have been running it since 1988 with absolutely no
>problems.  We have the DOS version (no pictures) and after 3 years of
>having both info. finder and Grolier's it is very obvious that the kids
>prefer info. finder because it has so muchmore information thatn the
>multimedia CD encyclopedias. Info. finder is more expensive, but you also
>get a lot more.
>Mary Alice Anderson
>Winona Minn. Middle School

LM_NET Archive Home