Rating system:   Q=quality rating   5=excellent  4=good
                 I=interest level, acc. to grade level
                 R=reading level, acc. to grade level

Schulman, Janet  *random House bk of easy-to-read stories*
   Q=4+  I=PreK-3  R=varies,  1-3
Katz, Bobbi  *A family Hanukkah, bk, cassette & dreydel*  Random
   Q=4-  I=PreK-2  R=3   Includes songs & sung prayers
Lewis, Shari  *Shari Lewis presents 101 games & songs*  random
   Q=4  I=PreK-5  R=4
Lawrence, Jacob  *The great migration*  Harper
  Q=5  I=3-6  R=2-3   NY & Wash.  migration of Blacks during WWII
Young, Ed  *Moon mother*  Harper   Q=4  I=k-6  R=3
   Native Amer. creation myth (spare, poetic lang.)
Conrad, Pam  *The tub grandfather*  Harper  Q=5  I=k-2  R=5
   touching
Kuskin, Karla  *A great miracle happened here*  Harper
   Q=4  I=2-10  R=3   among the best--Hanukkah--family warmth
Haseley, Dennis  *Horses with wings*  Harper
   Q=4  I=1-4  R=2   Franco-Prussian war
Lobel, Arnold  *Martha the movie mouse*  Harper
   Q=4  I=k-3  R=5   a charmer   reprint
Mathers, Petra  *Sophie and Lou*  Harper
   Q=4  I=1-4  R=3   lonely mouse
Brown, Margaret Wise  *The seashore noisy book*  Harper
   Q=4-  I=Prek=k  R=1   reprint
Pine, Jonathan  *Backyard birds*  Harper   Q=4  I=1-4  R=7
Gleitzman, Morris  *Two weeks with the queen*  Harper
  Q=4  I=5-7  R=5   Australian in England, gays, AIDS
Waterlow, Julia  *The Amazon;Rivers of the world*  STE
   Q=4-  I=5up  R=5
Morgan, Nina  *The Mississippi*  Sterling  Q=4-  I=5up  R=8
Rogers, Daniel  *The Thames*  Sterling   Q=4  I=5-12  R=10
Hooper, Tony  *Surgery breakthrough*  Sterling
  Q+4  I=3-12  R=4   eyewitness type format
Munro, Bob  *Aircraft*  Sterling   Q=4  I=5-8  R=8
   nice pictures but not elem.   technical, detailed
Ganeri, Anita  *Jungle birds*  Sterling
   Q=4  I=2-5  R=5    good ref.
Lazo, Caroline  *Lech Walesa*  Macmillan
   Q=4  I=4-8  R=7    conversational tone, stock photos, good for research
Sherrow, Victoria  *Bill Clinton*  Macmillan   Q=4+  I=3-6  R=5
Crews, Donald  *School bus*  Morrow   Q-4-  I=Prek-1  R=
Rice, Eve  *Benny bakes a cake*  Morrow  Q=4  I=Prek-1  R=1
Pomerantz, Charlotte  *If I had a papa, poems in 11 langs.*  MOrrow
    Q+4  I=1-3
Cole, J.  *Pin the tale on the donkey & other party games*  Morrow
   Q=4  I=PreK-3  R=2   intended for children to plan own parties
Cohen, Barbara  *Yussel's prayer: a Yom Kippur story*  Morrow
    Q=4  I=3-10  R=3
Howe, James  *Bunnicula fun bk*  Morrow   Q=4  I=3-10  R=3
    treasure house of puzzles, mazes & stickers
Skurzynski, Gloria  *Lost in the devil's desert*  Morrow
    Q=4  I=4-6  R=6   lost youngster, survival details
Hughes, Shirley  *The Alfie collection*  Morrow
   Q=4  I=PreK-2  R=2   4 bks in slipcase
Barton, Byron  *The little red hen*  Harper
    Q=4   I=PreK-1  R=1
Robins, Joan  *Addie's bad day*  Harper  Q=4-  I=k-2  R=1    bad hair day

LM_NET Archive Home