Rating system:     Q=quality rating   5=excellent  4=good
                  I= interest level, based on grade level
                  R= reading   level, based on grade level

Zolotow, Charlotte *Someone new*  Harper  Q=4-  I=2-5  R=3
Rappaport, Doreen  *Be the judge, be the jury  Tinker vs. Des Moines* Harper
    Q=4  I=4-12  R=6
Gallo, Donald R.  *WIthin reach, 10 stories*  Harper
   Q=4  I=4-8  R=6     good authors
Nodset, Joan  *Go away, dog*  Harper  Q=4  I=PreK-2  R=1
Kuskin, Karla  *Something sleeping in the hall*  Harper
   Q=4  I=k-3  R=1   delightful, poetry
Nodset, Joan  *Come here, cat*  Harper   Q=4  I=PreK-K   R=1
Adoff, Arnold  *Malcolm X*  Harper  Q=4  I=3-6  R=3   reprint
Ransom, Candice  *The big green pocketbook*  Harper
   Q=4  I=PreK-2  I=2
Climo, Shirley  *The Korean Cinderella*  Harper
   Q=4  I=1-3  R=4   no fairy godmother   magic animals instead
Cuneo, Mary Louise  *How to grow a picket fence*   Harper
   Q=4  I=1-3  R=3          fun
Gordon, Ruth  *Peeling the onion; anthology of poems*  Harper
  Q=4  I=5up
Hoff, Syd  *Captain cat*  Harper  Q=4  I=1-4  R=2
Turner, Robyn  *Georgia O'Keefe*   Little Brown
   Q=4  I=4up  R=7-8   biog. & art crit.   long sentences, not difficult
concepts
McPhail, David  *Lost*  Little Brown  Q=4-  I=PreK-2  R=1
Owens, Mary Beth  *Counting cranes*  Little Brown  Q=5  I=k-4  poetry
Grace, Eric  *Elephants*  Little Brown   Q=4+  I=5up  R=9
    basic info & interesting asides   Sierra Club
Hopkins, Lee bennett  *Ragged shadows, poems of Halloween night*  Little
   Q-4  I=k-4   collage illus.  non-rhyming poetry
Littlefield, Bill *Champions:stories of 10 remarkable athletes* Little
   Q=4+  I=4-7  R=6    includes women
Jakobsen, Kathy  *My New York*  Little Brown
   Q=5  I=K-6  R=6  folk-like art, maps, multicultural
Weeks, Sarah  *Hurricane City*  Harper
   Q=4  I=K-2  R=verse    alphabet
Grossman, Bill  *Cowboy Ed*  Harper   Q=4-  I=K-2  R=2
Carlstrm, Nancy White  *Rise and shine!*  Harper
   Q=4  I=PreK-4  R=2
Zimmerman, A.  *The cow buzzed*  Harper   Q=4+  I=PreK-4  R=2
   a cold is passed   a "must"
Tomb, H.  *Micro aliens: dazzling journeys via electron microscope*
   Macmillan   Q=4  I=3up  R=5
Yep, Laurence  *The butterfly boy*  Macmillan
   Q=4  I=5up  R=4   boy sees things as butterfly would; not for
little kids--imagery, Chinese philosophy  4th century
Schories, Pat  *He's your dog!*  Macmillan   Q=4-  I=PreK-K  R=1
Torres, Leyla  *Subway sparrow*  Macmillan
  Q=4  I=K-3  R=2   multicultural
Oram, Hiawyn  *Creepy crawly song bk*  Macmillan
   Q=4  I=K-4  R=3   17 witty poems set to music   beautiful illus.
Larry, charles  *Peboam and Seegwun*  Macmillan
  Q=4+  I=K-5  R=5   seasons, transitions   old man--young man
Havill, Alexandra  *carl's masquerade board bk*  Macmillan
  Q=opps, mistake, forget that title
Havill, Juanita  *Sato & the elephants*  Penguin
  Q=4  I=2-4  R=4  Japanese ivory carver  inspired by true story about
carver who found bullet in ivory and quit carving
Wahl, Jan  *Little gray one*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=K-3  R=1-2   habitat of African elephant
Levine, Arthur A.  *Pearl Moscowitz's last stand*  Penguin
  Q=5  I=Kup  R=3   destined to become a classic   multicultural, ecology
Patrick, Denise Lewis  *The car washing street*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=PreK-3  R=3   city in positive light
O'Malley, Kevin  *Who killed cock robin?*  Penguin
   Q=4-  I=2-5  R=verse   based on  nursery rhyme
Glassman, Peter  *The wizard next door*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=1-3  R=3   Is neighbor a wizard?
Pomerantz, Charlotte  *Halfway to your house*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=K-3  poetry
Hurwitz, Johanna  *New shoes for Sylvia*  Penguin
  Q=4  I=K-3  R=5
       ethnic groups
Prelutsky, Jack  *The dragons are singing tonight*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=2-10  poetry   exquisit illus.
Huck, Charlotte  *Secret places*  Penguin
   Q=4  I=K-8  R=4  poems
Collodi, carlo  *Pinocchio*  Penguin    Q=4+  I=K-5  R=7  abridged

That's all till June.

Wendy Waloff on behalf of SE Penna. School Library Book Reviewers
frdschlib@hslc.org

LM_NET Archive Home