I have been fascinated reading all the responses to the use of - and the
insistence on - library cards.  And I have been astounded at the number who use
the rolodex system, even if the cards have no pictures.  I firmly believe in
the KISS system (Keep it simple, stupid!).  Unless you have a terrific problem,
there is no need for cards.  They can be convenient if you don't know a kid,
and they may be mandatory in a truly large school, but I guess I am lucky in
the "community" in which I work.  Even though there are about 1000 students, we
have had only 2-3 problems a year with one student checking out stuff in
another's name.  More frequently we have to tell a student who wants to check ou
something for a friend that maybe she wants to think about it.  After all, the
friend cannot check out her own stuff since she owes a few dollars.  But,
whatever works for you is what you should do.
Kari Inglis/Bishop Watterson High School/99 E. Cooke Rd./Columbus, OH  43214
kbw_inglis@mec.ohio.gov

LM_NET Archive Home