We check out periodicals just like we do a book or record or pamphlet --
for a month at a time and through our automated system, Mandarin.  It
works well and we do not lose any more this way thn we did via limited
circulation.  Works for us and is so much less
hassel and less time consuming.   Good luck.

mstone@bigcat.missouri.edu

On Wed, 25 May 1994 DDWCHS@AOL.COM wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> What is the prevailing wisdom on periodical circulation policies?
>
> During the first semester, our students could check periodicals out for three
> days.  However, at this time at least 150 of those remain overdue, and for
> all practicle purposes, we will probably not see them again.
>
> This semester, we restricted periodical use to the media center.  Students
> "check-out" the periodical(s) at the beginning of the period that they are in
> the MC, and must return it/them before they leave.  Still, however, several
> periodicals have made their way out the door.
>
> If you have been faced with a similar dilemma, and have any suggestions or
> have devised a plan that you feel has alleviated the problem, please share
> your policy with us.
>
> 1.  Do you allow mags to be taken from the MC?
>
> 2.  What method(s) do you employ to check out periodicals?
>
> 3.   What has your success rate been in having periodicals returned?
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance!
>
> Denny Hoff
> Doug Gilliland
>
> Warsaw Community High School
> Warsaw, Indiana