We have used a system that seems to help slow down the loss of periodicals.
Our Media Center checks out periodicals for one period at a time or
overnight and the most common comment we hear when the student doesn't
return them is that someone took it.  Since the kids are usually checking
out the current, popular magazines, we felt that this excuse was probably
true, so  . . . . . .   We insert the magazine into a large manila envelope
and caution the students to be careful where they leave the package since
they will continue to be responsible for the item even if someone else
takes it.  We have found that keeping the magazine "out of sight" really
helps and by using old envelopes, costs us nothing.  Also the words of
caution seem to have a "we're in this together" type response from the
students and most of the periodicals are returned.

Enjoy the day,
Leah Goolsby
goolsbl@mail.firn.edu

LM_NET Archive Home