This past spring semester, I prepared a presentation for my collections
management class at FSU on "Comic Books and Graphic Novels for School
Media Center Collections." Having been a comic book reader since 1949 when
my brothers taught me to read from the old EC horror comics, I wanted to
explore their prospective roles in a school media setting.  I was
surprised by the recommendations that emerged.  While I have been aware of
the sexism, racism, agism, classism, etc. rampant in this medium, the
emergence of other elements that are socially "unacceptable" to most of us
gentle folk also worried me.  I didn't expect to be able to recommend much
for media centers.

I was surprised.  I'd be happy to mail anyone my "Beginning List" which
describes comic books, Graphic Novels, Prestige Formats, Comic Digests,
Trade Paperbacks, videos, books, and other comics related materials for
elementary, middle, and high school libraries.  I even found a CD-ROM
appropriate for High Schools.  It's 6 pages (my paper was 45 and the prof.
said she wouldn't grade it until I cut it down to 20!).  Just send an SASE
to me at

                Beverly Maddox
                4011 Tara Drive
                Tallahassee, FL  32303