Going to conferences, besides being addictive, is how we advance the
work of our profession.   Here are four steps that I have found to be
successful in getting release time for myself and the building-level librarians.

Follow all four steps completely. Don't stop at the first one, whether
or not you are allowed to go.  Remember, "No is just a Pre-test"

STEP ONE:  Ask to be released to go.  Never assume that just because
"they" say no conferences, that it means you.   Offer to pay your own
way.  These days, just about everybody does, and it's cheaper than you
think, although let the district know how much you spend.

STEP TWO:  Justify, justify, justify. You will find articles about the
importance of any conference lots of places.   Look how many you have
seen on LM-NET.  Make a direct connection to school and district initiatives.

STEP THREE:  Upon your return, create direct links to either money that
you have saved the district (through products you did not know existed,
or coupons for discounts); and skills that you learned.  Do faculty
updates.  DO NOT TELL THE FACULTY YOU LEARNED IT AT A CONFERENCE; but DO
let your administrators know how much you learned.  I'm not talking one
report, but hundreds of tidbits 6 months later that you can tie in to
something you learned.

STEP FOUR:  Get involved in the organization.  Join a committee so that
you have to attend.  Pretty soon, it will be assumed that you have to attend.

        I'm not saying definitely, but if you follow these four steps, I
will be seeing you at upcoming conferences.  Don't forget to say hello!

Gail Dickinson
Union-Endicott Central School District
Endicott, NY
                           "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
                                --famous basketball player in written interview

LM_NET Archive Home