Thanks to all the LM_NET colleagues that responded to my request.
I got two different versions that I thought would be interesting to post.

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 07:17:06 -0600
From: Wilson L Breeden <wilsonb@tenet.edu>

Jeanne,
As I remember it:

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven cats,
each cat had seven kits.
How many were going to St. Ives?
(Answer: 1 -- "_I_ was going to St. Ives.")

If you get any variations, it might be interesting to others to see them.

Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 00:04:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Sheryl Lee <slee@esu3.esu3.k12.ne.us>

Jeanne --

The poem you asked about is a Mother Goose Rhyme.  I found it in *The Real
Mother Goose*, illus. by Blanche Fisher Wright, publ. by Rand McNally,
c1916 (again in 1944).  Our book opened right to the page, as it was always
one of my girls' favorites (they're now 12 and 15).  It goes like this:

GOING TO ST. IVES

As I was going to St. Ives
I met a man with seven wives.
Every wife had seven sacks,