In message <9411040206.AB19135@ade.state.az.us> "Sandra P. Phillips" writes:

> Hello everyone,  One of our 8th grade social studies teachers is planning
> a discussion next week about the assassination of John Kennedy.  As part
> of his unit, he has asked his students to ask their grandparents, older
> friends, or teachers what they remember about the day JFK died. (Their
> parents too, if they were old enough at that time to remember!) He would
> appreciate hearing from any of you or anyone in your school who remembers
> where they were on that day, what they were doing, etc.  Your messages
> will be shared with all our students in a special JFK display.  Thanks
> for your help.  sppp@strauss.udel.edu
>
> Sandra Phillips, Librarian
> Dover Air Force Base Middle School
> Hawthorne Drive
> Dover, DE 19901

On Nov. 22, 1963, as a senior at Casa Grande Union High School, in Casa Grande,
Arizona, I walked the 6 blocks home to have lunch. My grandmother greeted me at
the edge of the yard with the news that Kennedy had apparently been shot. I was
not a political fan of his and my response was 'good'.  Of course I immediately
said that no...I was only kidding, but that immediate response caused me much
anguish of guilt for years.  I returned to school and was in my typing class
when our school principal announced that he had died and asked for a moment of
silence to his memory. Typewriters stilled, tears falling, muffled sobs, quiet
astonished glances at each other. None of us had ever personally been affected
by such violence. The teacher then quietly suggested that the best way to
handle such a situation was to just carry-on and we began the lesson again, but
I remember a decided lack of energy and enthusiasm from everyone. We finished
the afternoon and went home.

All television programming was cancled and all air time was devoted to the news
and the events.

If memory serves, I believe school was cancelled the day of the funeral so we
could all stay home and watch the historic event.

Paula Tindall
Woodard JHS Library Media Center
Yuma Elem District #1 (10,500 students)
Yuma  AZ 85364