I was an 8th grader in Massachusetts when JFK was shot.  Some of the
students routinely brought radios to school and listened to them between
classes.  While we were going to last period the rumor started that the
president had been shot.  I wouldn't believe it.  I said, "If that was
true they'd make an announcement."  About ten minutes later the loud
speaker came on and I went totally white.  I knew what the principal was
going to say even before he said it.

I spent the weekend glued to the television and saw Lee Harvey Oswald
killed.  I couldn't believe any one would shoot someone on national
TV.  What a crazy world.

There are some events in history that create vivid memories that will
last a lifetime.  You remember minute details--like the desk where I was
sitting in math class that day, and the vision of my mother running down
the hall to the TV when we told her Oswald was shot.

The Challenger explosion is another one of those memories.

Anne Knickerbocker                           Cedar Brook Elementary
Librarian                                    2121 Ojeman
SBISD                                        Houston, Texas 77080
aknicker@tenet.edu                           (713) 973-6585

LM_NET Archive Home