I remember the day of JFK assassination very well; I had three small
children, and had the TV on while ironing.  I was, I believe, in a state
of shock; as soon as I heard it, I rushed to the door, and called to my
neighbor who was shovelling snow. She dropped the shovel, and called to
her husband.  I suppose everyone was in the same sort of shock; glued to
the TV, unbelieving, watching the news reporters in tears.  We had an
annual Church Bazaar, held that Sunday.  It was huge; usually we made
about 20-25,000.  That Sunday was the beginning of the end, as VERY few
people attended; when the announcement was made (during Bingo) that
Oswald was murdered, the place emptied out!
Back to my neighbor; the husband was never the same afterwards; he was
quite elderly, and had idolized Kennedy; even had a large photo of him on
the living room wall; he actually treated it as if JFK was his son!  A
week later, he had a stroke, which we all believed had to do with the
assassination.
Kathy Sornsin, Shanley High School, Fargo, ND

LM_NET Archive Home