I was a young mother running an errand before picking up my first grader at
school.  I had won some sort of prize from a local jewelry store and
stopped by to pick it up.  There on th jewelry counter was a brand new
technological wonder -- a little miniature TV.  As we admired the marvel of
its immediacy, its screen revealed the first shocking news of the
assassination.  So immediate, so personal, so traumatizing.  And by the
time I had driven the eight miles to pick up my child, the whole world, it
seemed, had learned the dreadful news also.

LM_NET Archive Home