The year before I came to this school, flexible scheduling was
instituted, and when I got there, I hoped that I had avoided
the "fight" about it.  NOT!

Recently, teachers have been complaining to me and the
principal that "I just have SO much to do, I can't find the
time to let students out of my classes."

Although I have scheduled the K classes for the first half of
the year, I have refused to change the rest (so far), and my
principal agrees.

What are some ideas of ways that teachers can make sure that
all students make it into the library at least once a week, if
not more?  Many of the slower students never make it, because
they can only come "if they are finished" with other work.

I want to stress to the teachers that library time is not a
"treat", it is for everyone, and that all students should be
able to come in whenever they need it.

I also will need to sit and talk to a teacher who says that
"they are choosing innapropriate books" and "I want to monitor
what they get".  YIKES!  (Fingers crossed in typical
vampire-away gesture) Again, the principal is supportive, but
is throwing this in my lap (where it prob. belongs, anyway!)

Lorna McCloud           Teacher-Librarian
King Elementary         Woodbridge, VA
        lmccloud@pen.k12.va.us

LM_NET Archive Home