Here's another idea. We have flexible scheduling and that includes a
weekly check-out time for all language arts classes. We put this in
writing in our SCHOOL GOALS that were created and agreed upon by all
staff members. So teachers are "accountable" and, for the most part,
willing to bring their language arts classes for book selection. I have
given them research information that shows the value of recreational
reading, so they understand its importance. Teachers know, even better
than I do, the reading levels and interests of her reading class, so they
can be involved in the reading guidance when they bring their classes to
the library for check-out. I also have a set of bookmarks (run off on
colored paper here at school) to give each class when they come. I can
see at the end of the day which classes did not come since they did not
pick up their bookmarks. Then I can focus on encouraging them to come
next week. Students come individually and in small groups for check-out,
too. Some kids come every day! This seems to be a universal problem and
understandable since the classroom teachers day is jam-packed with
curriculum activities. We try to help our teachers understand that visiting
the library for book selection is as much a part of the curriculum as
taking a spelling test. We are still working on it...Don't give up!

Sandra Gilbert
Fiest Elementary
Cy-Fair/Houston

LM_NET Archive Home