Plagarism seems to be a perennial problem.  I think sometimes kids don't
know how NOT to plagarize.  Rather, they really don't know how to write.
I am hoping this is starting to change as we are beginning to start the
writing process very early on.  But in my experience kids are often
brought to the library and told to research and write a paper with very
little experience or instruction.  I wonder how they are expected to know
- sometimes I think teachers believe the research gene just kicks in at
about age 15.  Also, Nancy Polette says that bringing kids in to the
library, asking them to do typical library research, and then produce a
paper with very little background on how to do it is like saying, "Take a
look at these things that are a well-written and then rewrite them
poorly."  She, as well as many others, suggests giving an assignment that
can't be copied - have the kids produce a different product, for
example.  Or have them write for a particular audience.  I think we need
to rethink our part in encouraging plagarism.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home