Your policy is just like ours--a small elementary school of 300-325.
If they can't bring one or two back, will they bring two or four
back? NO! It is not unreasonable and if they need it for class work,
we certainly can be more flexible. The same kids will be leaving
their books home under the bed in 6 years--they are not being read
if they can't remember to bring them back. Hard hearted? Not when
you think about the kids who would really like to read those
books.

On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Global SchoolNet Fdn (FrEdMail) wrote:

> Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
> From: cjmacalp@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Jean Macalpine)
> Subject: q
> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 20:23:56 GMT
>
> I need to find a solution to a massive overdue problem.  We are a school of
> approximately 850 students and 50 staff.  We have an automated circulation
> system, and we have probably around 50 overdue books every day.  My policy
> has always been that students must return a book to get a book.  (If they
> take two books, they must return two to get two more.)  Parents sometimes
> complain that their child comes home "in tears" because they were forbidden
> to take a book, although they are told they can come to the library the next
> day and pick out a book if they bring theirs back.  I cannot see where there
> is any deprivation, and I am attempting to teach responsibility, but I am
> getting more and more protests from parents, and my principal would like me
> to come up with a more forgiving policy.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

LM_NET Archive Home