Pardon me for deleting the request for a Brazilian gopher.  I never
expected to know one in time to be of assistance.  I am getting ready for
an inservice I am helping teach on Monday and I found one (by accident
more or less).  I tried it out and it really exists!  URL:
gopher://bat.ftpt.br.  If you are not used to URS's , what you need to do
is type gopher gopher.bat.ftpt.br.  The opening menus are all in
English.  Once you get down to the "stuff" it is in Portuguese.  I can
read it well enough to survive (I've studied Portuguese in the past.)  If
you know French and Spanish, you can probably survive it too.  When I
tried to get to the Sao Paulo gopher, I got stuck waiting for the
directory to be received.  (Perhaps I was not patient long enough).  Here
is the menu at all gophers in Brazil

1. ANTARES - Rede de Servicos de Informacao em Ciencia E Technologia/
2. Gase de Dados Tropical (BDT), Campinas, SP./
3. CNPq, Brasilia, DF./
4. CR-DF - Centro Regional de Brasilia / RNP /
5. CR-PE - Centro Regional de Pernambuco / RNP/
6. CR-SP - Centro Regional de Sao Paulo / RNP/
7. Centro de Recursos em Bioinformatica (BBRC( , Brasilia, DF./
8. FINEP - Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos/
9. PUC/Rio - Pontificia Universidade Catolica, Rio de Janeiro, RJ/
10 UFRGS - Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS/
11 UFSM - Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, RS/
12 UNICAMP - CCUEC (Centro de Computacao), Campinas, SP/
13 UNICAMP - IQ (Instituto de Quimica ), Campinas, SP/
14 USPIF - Universidade de Sao Paulo (Inst. Fisica), S. Paulo. SP./
Hope this will help you.
If you are interested in a listserv, send a message to subscribe to
BRAS-NET-request@fpsp.fapesp.ansp.br.  This might be very helpful

Nancy JP Lively
Anne Arundel County Public Schools
Professional Library