I am at a school that has a program La Vie Nouvelle, for pregnant students.
Twelve and thirteen year olds *are not* adults, even if they are facing
some very adult responsibilities.
In fact, we have had girls in our program whose pregnancy is the least of
their problems.  I'm sure anyone anywhere working with pregnant teens would
say the same thing.

Almost all our "girls" "keep their babies."  That's probably because many of oio
 ur student may look upon their babies as possessions and not focus on the
responsibilites.  Of course, all parents may think this way at first,
but get a strong since of reality when the terrible two's set in.

I am all in favor of appropriate language, since I also work with students with
other disabilities.  However in the case of teen age mothers, I think we
need to help the mother (and hopefully the father) before we can help the child.
Margaret Kleinpeter     New Iberia LA mxk6587@usl.edu

LM_NET Archive Home