I know, I am a supervisor and should therefore just shut up, but I
really can't help it.

Out of 6 elementary schools, (approx. 500 kids each), I have convinced
one, maybe two librarians to remove all limits from reading.  My
rationale on this is that from reading THE POWER OF READING, I know that
in order to give kids a chance, they must read.   I also want to point
out how increased access through technology, and increasing staffing to
1 certified SLMS per school, has increased reading.   One elementary
school in particular circulates wildly (the librarian is on this list,
and probably cringing right now).  Kids are walking out with 6, 7, 9
books.  What's the overdue rate?  It's high, but not inordinately so.
We must remove all barriers to reading.   We can't on the one hand tell
kids to read intensively, and on the other hand limit the numbers of
books they check out.

My argument to librarians I supervise, and the closest I have ever come
to a direct order is, "Find a way to answer the question, 'How many
books can I check out?', without using a number".

Gail Dickinson
Union-Endicott Central School District
Endicott, NY 13760

                        "a wild patience has taken me this far"