I am the librarian at a middle school,(grades 6, 7 & 8), and we have lots
of fines and overdues. The kids who really read a lot do not have overdue
books.  They come in almost daily bringing books back, and getting new
ones.  I do have a limit of 5 but they could have more if they really
needed them.  The kids who keep book for months, and/or years are not
doing so because they are reading them.  They just don't care.  They
don't care if they cannot check out any more books.  They either have
lost the books or they want to keep them.  These same kids probably get
videos and games back to the video store on time because they know it
will cost them if they don't or they will not get to rent anymore.  I
really don't know what the solution is except that we are really getting
away from holding students accountable for anything.

I do want to thank the person who posted a message about accepting food
for fines.  I am doing this now and will continue through December.  This
will give the kids a way to return books and give something to the
community in place of the fine.

Maggie McGraw                          William Slider Middle School
mmcgraw@tenet.edu                      11700 School Lane
                                       El Paso, TX 79936
                                       (915) 857-4450

LM_NET Archive Home