At my large middle school we charge 5 cents a page for photocopies on the
library copier.  We do not charge for kids to print out articles off our
Super Tom Jr.  We have only had Super Tom Jr. for a year, so this is not
an official policy set in stone, just what seems to be reasonable.  No
one has questioned it yet, and we are all still so amazed to get all
those full text articles without having to go into our stacks for back
issues of magazines, that my aide and I don't even think about the cost.
I would be interested in how other people rationalize this.  I wish I
could give photocopies away free too, but I use the nickles I collect to
buy toner and maintenance.  I also have two CD Rom encyclopedias, but I
am stingier with those.  I only let kids save to their disks.  I tell
them they can photocopy out of the paper encyclopedias.  Wanda Cuniff in
Nacogdoches, TX.

LM_NET Archive Home