On Sat, 19 Nov 1994, Paula Neale wrote:

> The next step I can think of is a route list, but if anyone has a more
> creative idea, I'd like to hear it.  And speaking of those same
> magazines, what do you do about the posters, learning centers, etc that
> come bound inside and are meant to be torn out and used?  They don't do
> anyone any good inside, but who would you give them to.  We just don't
> have time to process them as a seperate item?

When I was at Middle School we subscribed to several magazines like
that.  I always took the posters out and laminated them and put them in a
giant portfolio (ordered from Highsmith) that stood behind a file
cabinet.  The units, we photocopied or removed and placed in dated
manilla folders standing in magazine boxes on our periodical shelves.
The magazines were then signed out and circulated as any other
periodical.  If the teachers wanted the units and/or posters, they
checked them out like they did any other instructional materials.  A
label was placed on the front of the magazine that said, "Ask at the desk
for teaching units and posters."  The posters of art works that one
periodical contained that had an accompanying explanation on one page we
also laminated, but we photocopied the one accompanying page and put it
on the back of the poster before we laminated.  (Covered up a calendar,
but the calendar was not being used)

Here in high school, we are not presently subscribing to those types of
periodicals.  However, I *do* circulate photocopies of the table of
contents of our professional magazines (with comments written in if I've
read particularly interesting articles).

Are there periodicals similar to those described for high school level?
I haven't seen any and would love to subscribe to one or two.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523

LM_NET Archive Home