I agree that access is an important value in our libraries.  However, the
students who don't return books on time are affecting everyone else's
access to those books.  What's more, the longer they keep them the more
likely they are to forget all about them and ultimately lose them.  Any
student who needs a book longer than the check-out period has the option
of renewing it.

For these reasons, our library policy is that any student who has an
overdue book may not check out any more until the overdue is taken care
of.

As far as teaching responsibility, I believe that is the job of the
entire school staff, not just the classroom teacher.  Ifwe don't support
each other in teaching values such as responsibility, the students will
get mixed messages and won't learn them.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox,syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School
Chandler, Arizona

A National Blue Ribbon School