Hello all,
Many thanks to all who responded to my query about the library automation
systems (Winnebago, Columbia Library System, and Micro-VTLS).

(1) Seven responses came from users of the Winnebago system. Everybody
reported great satisfaction with the system and indicated that Winnebago's
customer support is superb. One user reported a problem with getting the
program to print a desired format, but calls this a minor glitch. Another
user complained about its use of alphanumeric characters to codify its
punctuation when it lists subjects and authors in the traditional catalog
mode. Nevertheless, everyone said that Winnebago (the company) responds
very quickly to reported problems and they either immediately rectify the
problem or the problem is alleviated by the next product upgrade.
(2) Five users of the Columbia Library system responded with comments that
indicated that they were pleased and especially so with the system's union
catalog capability. One user said that while it is a powerful program that
can operate easily in a Novell environment, the Columbia Library System
does not have pretty screens. Another user said that the company's location
in California made for a long delay in getting a response to a problem in
Rhode Island. One user listed several aspects of the system which may be
regarded as pluses:
    1. Columbia supports foreign language accent marks (very helpful in
teaching Spanish, for example)
    2. Columbia supports authority control
    3. The CLS program is very customizable (colors, custom reports,
different languages for the OPAC, etc.)
    4. Columbia has a "fabulous, fantastic, supercompetent support staff".

Generally, there was no displeasure with CLS; people who used it were pleased
with it and it satisfied their needs.
(3) There were NO respondees who reported using the MicroVTLS system.
(4) Several people indicated that there were other systems that they either
knew about or had used (and, it seems, new systems are being introduced every
day). I'll list those that were mentioned:
    1. Library Soft
    2. Dynix
    3. Surpass 2
    4. Multi LIS
    5. Molli Library Software
    6. Mandarin
    7. Alexandria

I am still evaluating the demo program for these systems. I concur with the
observation that most of these systems are best suited to libraries which
have 150,000 or less volumes. There are many functions of the software that
are not made available in the demo version. However, I believe each of these
systems would do well when they are realistically matched to library size,
personnel and user sophistication, circulation/cataloging needs, and
reporting requirements.

Many thanks to everyone. I especially appreciate the graciousness of those
who offered to provide additional detail in response to specific questions.
I wish I had had more time to do just that.

    # (GRADUATE STUDENT, LIBRARY  #  "WE SAIL WITHIN A VAST SPHERE,    #
    #  AND INFORMATION SCIENCES)  #      EVER DRIFTING IN UNCERTAINTY, #
    #         +++++++++           #           DRIVEN FROM END TO END." #
    # LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY  #  --PASCAL                          #
    # CIHIRE@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU   #                                    #