---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 21:44:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Joanna F. Fountain <joanna@tenet.edu>
To: mike@eryx.syr.edu
Subject: Cataloging software

Mike,

If USMARC is not an issue, there is a series of programs called SuperCat
Plus ($90), SuperCat Advanced ($130), SuperCat Pro ($160), and SuperCat
Premier [includes circulation] ($200) that might be of use.

You can get a catalog, etc., by calling Zephyr Services
                                        1-800-533-6666
They are located at: 1900 Murray Ave.
                          Pittsburgh, PA 15217

I used the first two for a collection to be maintained by a non-librarian
in a state agency's departmental library, and changed one of the unused
fields to "Status."  When anything was checked out, I typed in caps the
words CHECKED OUT - DUE ../../..  then deleting the note when the
items were returned.  It allowed a sort of circulation system.  One can
print cards or lists in various "sort" orders to create a card or book
catalog.

It is essentially a database program.  I found the Advanced a bit too
complicated for a searcher who would have no access to training, and the
"boolean" searching method it suggests very slow (on a 286); keyword (any
character string within a field) was much faster and relatively more
satisfactory.

This happens to be the only one I know of, and it is usable and
affordable.  Although I am a professional cataloger, and probably should
not like programs like this, I think for the setting where there is not
going to be an MLS cataloger, it is quite nice...

Joanna Fountain (BA, SU '66)
GSLIS, The Univ. of Texas at Austin
<joanna@tenet.edu>

LM_NET Archive Home