Anne,
        I don't pretend to be an expert in copyright problems.  Everyday,
something new arises.  However, several years ago I was teaching a graduate
class at George Mason University on learning styles.  One of the teaching
magazines had a wonderful article explaining all of the learning style
theories, giving examples and all that good stuff.  In a burst of
enthusiasm, I made copies for each of the members of my class.  When I
thought about the copyright issue, I felt that I was meeting the "class
set, one time and one time only" rule.  But, our district had actually had
two copyright suits and all of us were nervous so I wrote to the publishers
of the periodical.  Guess what?  They said that they would be delighted if
I used the article as long as I sent them several hundreds of dollars.
RESULT --- I had lots of call slips after I cut the articles up into tiny
pieces.
        Advice --- the social studies teacher should really write to the
magazine and ask permission.  It's only fair --- and safe!
        Suzy Hawley
        hawleys@mail.firn.edu

LM_NET Archive Home