*********************
From: Kay Peterson <ckpeters@teleport.com>

How about  ..?
The Chosen       by Potak
The Chocolate War    Cormier
Canyons          Gary Paulsen
Foundation (Trilogy)  Asimov
Watership Down        Adams
Briar Rose            Jane Yolen
Ender's Game or
The Seventh Son       Orson Scott Card
Anything written by Sue Ellen Bridgers
Killing Mr. Griffin   Lois Duncan
The Outsiders         S.E. Hinton

     *******************

BOOK LIST FOR 9th GRADE

Cynthia Voigt
    Homecoming
    Sons from Afar
    Solitary Blue
    Dicey's Song
    Jackaroo
AVI
    Wolf Rider  (very good for low reading level)
    Nothing but the Truth

Richard Peck
    Are you in the House Alone?
    Remembering the Good Times
Harry Mazer
    When the Phone Rang
    Snow Bound (low level)
    Villa Street War
Caroline Cooney
    Face on the Milk Carton
    Flight #116
Gary Paulsen  (Good for low level)
    Canyons
    Dogsong
Lois Duncan
    Killing Mr. Griffin
    I Know what you did last summer
    Face in the Mirror
    Who Killed my Daughter
    Locked in Time
    Down a Dark Hall
    Stranger with my Face
Mary Higgins Clark
     Where are the Children?
     Remember Me.
Tom Clancy
     Without Remorse
     Hunt for Red October
     Patriot Games
Orson Scott Card
     Ender's Game
     Seventh Son
Robert Jordon
     Eye of the World
Robert Heinlein
    Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    Stranger in a Strange Land
Tolkein
    Lord of the Ring Series
Terry Brooks
    Magic Kingdom for Sell
    (Shannara Series)
David Eddings
    (The Belgariad Series)
Dick Francis
    Any Mystery
Farley Mowet
    Owls in the Family
    The Boat that wouldn't Float
    The Dog that wouldn't bark
    Never cry wolf

from
     Janet Johns  bbvschlib@hslc.org
   **********************

From: Carolynne Lathrop <udclathr@lcac1.loras.edu>

Conrad, Pam.  What I did for roman.
Mori, Kyoki. Shizuko's daughter.  Very moving and well written.
Mazer, Anne. America street: a multicultural anthology of stories.  I
        haven't read this one myself, but it was well reviewed and is
timely.
Avi. Thr true confessions of Charlotte Doylc.  A growing up story for
        young women, and an exciting adventure st0ry as well.
Behn, Harry. The faraway lurs.  This is old (1976) but hauntingly
beautiful.
Cleaver, Vera and Bill. Where the lilies bloom.  Probably the best
book by
        this talented duo.  Also an oldie, but good strong
        characters--especially the heroine, Mary Call--make it
timeless.
Cole, Brock.  The goats.  Two misfits find their way back to society
and
        find themselves in the process.
Conly, Jane Leslie.  Crazy lady.  A young boy befriends a neighbor who
is
        looked down on by everyone else.
Cooney, Caroline.  Don't blame the music.  A family comes to terms with
        their oldest daughter, a failed rock singer.
Cormier, Robert.  Fade. Less well known than "The chocolate war," this
        book deals more with internal struggles, with a science fiction
        twist.
Davis, Jenny. Sex education.  Not as provocative as it sounds.  Two
        idealistic teenagers try to help a neighbor, with tragic
        consequences.
Deaver, Julie Reece. Say goodnight Gracie.  A teenager learns to cope
with
        the unexpected death of her best friend.
Dickinson, Peter.  Eva.  One of my favorites.  Science-fiction, and I'm
        not a science fiction fan.  This book deals with what it is to
be
        human, among other things.
Engdahl, Sylkvia Louise. Enchantress from the stars.  Another oldie but
        goodie.  Good for dealing with point of view.

From: Carolynne Lathrop  <udclathr@lcac1.loras.edu>

Ferris, Jean. Invincible Summer.  A boy and girl both fighting leukemia
        try to face the future with optimism.
Fox, Paula. One-eyed cat.  A boy learns to care for a cat he has
injured.
Grant, Cynthia. Uncle Vampire.  Haven't read this but it got praise
last
        year when it came out.  Deals with vampirism (imagined) and
        incest (real).
Hall, Lynn.  The Giver.  Not the Newbery winner (by Lois Lowry) but a
        strong offering.  A girl's relationship with her teacher.
Hautzig, Esther.  Remember who you are: stories about being Jewish.
        This is not really fiction but it reads well.  Good followup to
        Schindler's List.
Holman, Felice.  Slake's limbo.  An old book(1974) that deserves a
wider
        readership.  A boy survives alone in the jungle of tunnels
        beneath NYC.
Hudson, Jan. Sweetgrass. Native American girl saves part of her family
        during a smallpox epidemic.  Strong female character.
        This writer also wrote Dawn Rider, which I haven't read.
Hunter, Mollie. Cat, herself. Scottish girl becomes more independent.
        Hunter also wrote a book I don't have--I think it was called
the
        Tower (?); it took place in Ancient Britain and explained some
of
        the ancient ruins.  I remember it as being excellent--but I
        like anything British and old.
Irwin, Hadley.  Abby, my love.  Deals with sexual abuse.  Written by
two
        authors; Iowa authors in fact!
Kerr, M.E.  I stay near you.  Anything by Kerr is very good; this is a
romance
        with a sense of history.
__________ Night Kites.  A boy has to deal with his brother's dying
from
        AIDS.
Klause, Annette Curtis.  The silver kiss.  A mysterious boy helps a
girl
        deal with her mother's illness.  Deals with vampirism.  This is
        never on the shelves.
Lasky, Kathryn. Pageant.  A young girl deals with being Jewish in a
largely
        Gentile school.
LeGuin, Ursula. Wizard of Earthsea. A must, as far as I'm concerned.
        Classic fantasy, beautifully written.  Also its sequels:
        The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore (I think that won the
Newbery)
        and Tehanu.
Levitin, Sonia. Silver Days.  a prosperous Jewish family escapes Nazi
Germany
        and must adjust to a modest lifestyle in America.
Lingard, Joan. Tug of War.  Twins escape Latvia before the Russians
annex
        it after WWII.
        Lingard also wrote three or four books about a teenage couple
in
        Northern Ireland, one a Catholic and the other a Protestant.
        Not many books for teenagers put the Irish conflict into
perspective.
        I think one is called "The Twelfth of July," and another is
"Across
        the Barricades."  I can't remember  the others.

My high school English teachers and I thank you so much for taking the
time to respond!
--
Paula Galland - Glynn Co. Schools - St. Simons Isl., GA
                     paula@freenet.fsu.edu