Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 20:59:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Barbara Jansen <bjansen@tenet.edu>
To: Mike Eisenberg <mike@eryx.syr.edu>
Cc: Bob Berkowitz <reberkow@mailbox.syr.edu>
Subject: Re: Big Six and Kingergarten (fwd)

Mike, our Early Childhood also uses the plan/do/review method and finds
it quite effective in getting the children to organize and reflect on
the task at hand. Since I have already introduced the Big Six concept to
our Kindergarten this year, I don't want to muddy the waters by
introducing the Super Three in mid-stream. Next year however, I may
consider using this instead of the Big Six, then in first grade introduce
the Big Six as an extension of the Super Three. However, our KinderKids
seem to be understanding the concept of asking specific questions when
they have a need to know something. By the end of the year, I will have
substantial knowledge as to whether or not Kindergarteners can grasp the
concept of the Big Six. I like the idea of using the Big Six from K-12.
It remains to be seen. I will collaborate with Kindergarten once or twice
a month for Big Six lessons. We are trying to develop concepts that
Kindergarteners can understand. Our teachers are quite interested in
this. I'll keep you posted. Barbara

LM_NET Archive Home