The responses I've received about advice for libraries affected by
the recent floods in Texas are these:

"In terms of replacement funding, I've found the best sources to be the
community with a capital 'C' - that includes everyone, student government,
parent organizations, local businesses and alumni.  My school is an old
one, and has a great deal of local support.  We've never been through a
natural disaster - but we're currently dealing with a human made one -
California's near total neglect of its public schools!
--Eunice Stewart, C.K. McClatchy H.S., Sacramento (estewar@ctp.org)"

"Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio experienced a flood 8 or 9
years ago.  You might try to contact them for advice."
--Kathy Buck, Dayton

Also, in the October issue of School Library Journal there was a news
item about the ALA coordinating help for the flooded libraries in the
southeastern U.S. (different flood, same problem).  In its entirety, it
states:

        The Chapter Relations office of the American Library Association
        is coordinating requests for assistance from Georgia and Florida
        libraries damaged in the recent flooding.  ALA is working with the
        Foundation Center to provide information on donors who have a
        history of providing disaster relief funding or of giving to
        libraries in the region.  Libraries that serve the public may
        request a free copy of the 42-page list of funding sources from
        Pattie Johnson, Director, Foundation Center Atlanta, Ste. 150,
        50 Hurt Plaza, Atlanta, GA  30303-2914; (404) 880-0095.  The
        Foundation Center is a national service organization that
        publishes information on grant opportunities and corporate
        giving.

If you or someone you know needs funding assistance to get a library
back up and running, you might try this source, although it might be
limited only to the Southeast.  The American Library Association might
have more recent or detailed information about this.

If you have any other suggestions/needs/concerns/ideas, please continue
to use me as a clearinghouse, and I will post it to the Net as a hit.

Thanks for the help so far!
Paula LaRue
Lincoln Jr. High Schoo;
Van Wert, Ohio