Mark, I have spent 18 years in the Austin, TX ISD grappling with this
subject.  My lessons were fantastic; someone even wanted to publish my
library skills activities.  Until a few years ago, I just couldn't
completely turn loose of regularly scheduled library periods.  I was a
teacher before a librarian, and knew that skills taught in isolation were
not lasting.  With 700 students, state competency testing (TAAS), the
need to help students learn critical-thinking and problem-solving skills,
the need to involve teachers in the process, as well as the demands of
the library (collection development, weeding, etc.) and armed with lots
of research and data on the value of flexible access, I made the move.
Several teachers were willing to work with me, including the art and
music teachers.  We aimed for a totally integrated curriculum and at the
end of each unit (or theme) of study, we culminated with a program put on
by students, for students, teachers, parents and school district
administrators.  We are now giving workshops, helping other librarians
implement flexible scheduling.  The secret to success is to start small
(preferably with the upper grades, choose a teacher or two to be your
partner in study, and show off at every opportunity.  I will never have to
worry about my job again.  My goal is to see every school in Austin
embrace flexible scheduling, with librarian and teacher working as a
cooperative team to improve student achievement and enrich the curriculum.

I will be delighted to continue dialogue with you and to share any ideas
you might need.  This is work, lots of work! But I love it, the students
and parents love the library and the teachers are my best supporters.

Virginia Gordey
Brentwood Elem. (K-5)
Austin, TX
vgordey@tenet.edu