How far do we go with technology?  I have to make a choice!  Do I keep
buying magazines that end up with some articles missing, loose covers,
and some just plain stolen, but enjoyed by many students during their
study hall periods or do I spend the same amount (approximately) and go
with something like MAS or the new SUPERTOM?  Have any of you out there
sacrificed reading magazines for pleasure for having access to all
articles via computer reading??  Part of me says "we are not a *public*
library but a library that should be mostly dedicated to aiding research
by supplementing and enriching the curriculum.  Our mags. are used a lot
by students for reports, speeches, term papers.  They are not allowed to
check out the magazines but may check them out for one period during
their study halls or keep them on a shelf in the library when they are
using them for school purposes.   Also, I don't know if this makes any
difference buy we are a small (540 students) rural high school.

I have to make a decision now as to whether I continue to subscribe to
Abridged Reader's Guide when we have it on CD ROM.  I hate duplicating
when our funds just don't justify it, on the other hand, it is handy when
an entire class is using it.  We have five computers in the library and
25 across the hall ( we have a computer in every room, and another
computer lab with 25 and four other mini-labs like the library).  What do
you do?
TIA

     * Jan Weeks, Librarian @ North Knox High School      *
     * Box 187, Bicknell, Indiana  47512                  *
     * email: jweeks@ideanet.doe.state.in.us              *