> >Subject: Target-> Windows and LANS
>
> >During the past couple of weeks, I have spoken with two producers (SIRS
> >and ABC-CLIO) who have assured me that WINDOWS versions of their product
> >is the choice of libraries with LANs.  Since their resources for market
> >research far exceed mine, I have come to the best resource.
>
> >Are you currently running Windows on your LAN?  Successes?  Problems?
> >(Please include specifics of your configuration with respect to successes
> >and problems.)
>
> >If there are any producers or other interested parties "lurking," I would
> >appreciate you input also.
>

> >Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
> >Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
> >Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
> >jawalker@tenet.edu                      512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)
>
> Julie,
        We are running a new network on Windows NT with Windows for
Workgroups and MS Office.  Both those programs seem too powerful for our
486-SX 25 mz machines with 4 megs of RAM.  I would recommend at least 33 mz
and 8 Mz RAM.    In the library, we are running SIRS, MAS, PCGlobe and
PCUSA, all DOS versions on appropriate machine.  The DOS programs are at least
three times as fast as any of the Windows programs.  We run them from
Windows with icons and they are doing fine.    Student competence on Windows
is quite weak, but I'm sure with time, the Windows problems will decrease as
students learn how to close programs correctly and manage their desktops
more efficiently.  Windows is great if you have people in the building who
know how to fix the problems.  Our tech support at the district is great,
but with 18 building LANS in progress, we have to be our own technicians
this year.

Eileen Andersen
Sehome High School
wlma08@llkcts.ll.pbs.org