Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for ideas.  Here is a list
of some of the ideas I received.

>From Vicki M. Sherouse - Make bookworks.  Have special days like "Hats
Off to Reading" (wear a hat), "Reading Takes You Away" (wear travel
t-shirts), etc.

>From Debra Whitbeck - Decorate grocery bags, Rocking and Reading using
rocking chairs and everyone sits and reads and rocks for 15 minutes,
allow studets to check out an extra book.

>From Sunnie Tait - Cake decorated to look like a book, pumpkins decorated
to represent a book, sleepover in the library, book swap, read in the
halls, guest readers.

>From Jean Liming - Local notables come in and listen to students read to
them on a schedule throughout the day.

>From Avid Halberstadt - Guest reader day, design door displays of
favorite books.

>From Ginny McKee - "A day in. . . " where kids keep track of events for
that week with journal entries, short stories, photos and drawings and
than publish a book.

>From Connie Zimmer - Book project between grades - like posters, models,
pictures, science projects.

>From Anne T. Knickerbocker - Read-in, Family Library Night

>From Erlene Bishop - Book character look-a-like contest, Read A-Shirt
Day, Read Around the School Break.

>From Joan Mckay - Trivia questions about books called Book Week Trivia,
use scripts from award winning and shortlisted picture books and put on
plays.

Thanks again for all the responses - a lot of great ideas.  Please
forgive my typing and if I didn't get your idea or name quite right.

Cyd Hanson

LM_NET Archive Home