After checking as many source possibilities as I could think of, I've
reached a dead end.  I have a student who is reading Children of
Strangers:  Stories of a Black Family by Morgan.  In this book there are
references to crying boots which were worn on special occasions like
weddings.  There would be contests to see which men could make their
boots cry the loudest.  It had something to do with getting the cryers in
the boots to work well.  Does anyone know what "cryers" or "crying boots"
are?  The story takes place in Lynchburg, Virginia in the early 1900's, I
think.  Any help is appreciated.  TIA!

Melinda Miller-Widrick, LMS K-12
Colton-Pierrepont Central School
Colton, NY 13625